Underwriting Consultant/ Analyst
Burnham Benefits Insurance Services
Collaborative, Progressive, Team-Oriented and Nimble are just a few of the words our team uses to describe Burnham Benefits Insurance Services. Our team is results-oriented and we strive to build on our employees strengths creating an unparalleled culture. At Burnham we don’t simply talk about work life harmony, we live it. From our dynamic employee and family fun events, Burnham Way charitable giving program, and numerous employee-led committees, we provide our team with opportunities to grow both personally and professionally. Our bright and modern workspace cultivates creativity and our commitments to social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability have earned us a B Corp designation as well as year-over-year national and regional Best Places to Work recognitions. With year-over-year growth of at least 20%, we are looking to add people to our team who strive for excellence and have fun while doing it.
Scope of the Position
Burnham’s Risk Management Department is seeking an Underwriting Consultant to support companywide producer teams with financial modeling, cost management options, data analytics, actuarial models, and overall health & welfare program solutions. This role will report directly the Chief Strategy Officer but will also collaborate closely with various departments. We are looking for great people who are have well-rounded talent, intense curiosity and determination to bring out the best.
- Drive and deliver compelling and cohesive client financial model deliverables each month
- Create and manage dashboard exhibits
- Establish ongoing communication with carriers to monitor claim trends
- Provide insight to the evolving carrier product landscape and offerings
- Build employer/employee contribution strategies and projection-based modeling (examples: M&A resources, contribution and migration modeling)
- Work closely with actuarial partners on project-based work and assist client needs
- Assist and motivate the team to continually make improvements and accomplish projects more efficiently and effectively
- Distill data and insights into informative, clear and elegant reports
- Support medical utilization project-based work
What To Bring
- Insurance Experience - BA/BS degree and 5+ years of experience with carriers, medical preferred. Knowledge of funding mechanisms: fully insured and self-insured.
- Passionate Attitude - Have a genuine commitment to the clients and the desire to work in a team environment. We are looking for a high level of latitude and focus on generating results.
- Informative Insight - Demonstrate your seasoned experience and careful patience to synthesize and accurately disseminate information from a variety of sources and individuals to various clientele.
- Calculated Mindset - Strong mathematical and spreadsheet skills with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail, while also incorporating creativity and holistic thinking to effectively problem solve.
- Effective Communication - Demonstrate top-notch written and verbal communication skills. Be able to convey your message succinctly and professionally using the tools of the trade including Excel and PowerPoint.
- Detail-Orientated Support - The industry is constantly evolving. Bring exceptional problem-solving skills and the desire to drive efficiency and to help the rest of the team grow.
- Fearless Optimism - Don’t be afraid to find your path in fast-paced environments. Be proactive, set your own priorities and work in deadline settings.
- A Solid Foundation - Burnham upholds the highest personal and professional standards of integrity and ethics.
- Dedication - Ability to work hard and love what you do!
We invite you to explore the exciting opportunities available to both you and your career with Burnham.
Burnham Benefits' footprint currently spans seven offices in California - Orange County, San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Sacramento and San Diego.
Burnham Benefits is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Back to Careers